Re: New filesystem for Linux

From: Rene Herman
Date: Sun Nov 05 2006 - 19:37:19 EST

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

Rene Herman wrote:

For primary (and extended) partitions, yes. I haven't used any version of DOS that has ever objected to arbitrarily aligned partitions in the MBR (and I do align them arbitrarily since I always make my partitions some exact size and start the next partition in the next sector).

Different though for logical partitions inside an extended. As late as Windows 98, DOS would object to non-aligned logicals, at the very least with some settings for the BIOS use/don't use LBA or "Large" settings.

Linux doesn't care; I've used type 0x85 instead of 0x05 for my extended partitions dus to that for years. DOS just ignores that one...

DOS, or FDISK?

DOS. It was something like DOS accepting the non cylinder-aligned logical but then proceding as if it were cylinder aligned anyway, rounding the starting sector down. This obviously is not good.

Also see the "--DOS-extended" comment in the sfdisk man page. Since I do remember differences when using different "Large" CHSs in the BIOS, for all I remember I was experiencing that problem when I ran into it. If so, the DOS underlying Windows 98 is among the "some versions".

In any case, yes, non-cylinder aligned logical partitions (for whichever defintion of "aligned" fits DOS' idea of the geometry) really do cause trouble.

The DR-DOS (-> Novel DOS -> Caldera OpenDOS) warning in that manpage seems to imply that cylinder alignment was a good idea for all partitions seen by it, and I do remember it being a pain in that regard as well. Guess it's pretty safe to not care about DR-DOS anymore though.

Rene.