Poor NFSv4 first impressions

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Nov 06 2006 - 01:15:43 EST

Being a big user of NFS at home, and a big fan of NFSv4, it was high time that I converted my home network from NFSv3 to NFSv4.

Unfortunately applications started breaking left and right. vim noticeably malfunctioned, trying repeatedly to create a swapfile (sorta like a lockfile). Mozilla Thunderbird would crash reproducibly whenever it tried anything remotely major with a mailbox, such as compressing folders (removing deleted messages).

Both NFSv4 server and NFSv4 client were x86-64 Linux boxes, running hyper-recent kernel 2.6.19-rc4-g10b1fbdb (10b1fbdb0a0ca91847a534ad26d0bc250c25b74f). FC5 userland on the server, FC6 userland on the client. There were no other clients connected to the NFS server, much less using my NFS homedir. This data was not being accessed on the server directly, either.

/etc/exports contains:
/g 10.10.10.0/255.255.255.0(rw,fsid=0,insecure,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash)

NFSv4 /etc/fstab line:
pretzel:/ /g nfs4 defaults,proto=tcp,hard,intr 0 0

NFSv3 (previous) /etc/fstab line for same file server:
pretzel:/g /g nfs defaults,tcp 0 0

I hope this is just a temporary problem, but as it looks right now, NFSv4 isn't ready for prime time, with all these apps breaking :/

Jeff