Re: could not find filesystem /dev/root

From: Marc Perkel
Date: Mon Nov 06 2006 - 09:20:57 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 11:18 +0100, Mathieu SEGAUD wrote:
Vous m'avez dit rÃcemment :

Trying to compile a new kernel and getting this on boot

could not find filesystem /dev/root
sure it doesn't spit only this to you. Does it panic ? and do FC6
kernels use an initrd (I guess so) ?

they do and it's more or less required there (for mount-by-label and
many other things).

But it's easy to do.
In fact, if you use "make install" as the last step in your build
process, the kernel build process will
1) copy the bzImage over to /boot for you
2) make an initrd for your system
3) add the kernel and initrd to grub for you

this is a very convenient step that makes it very robust to do, and
beats doing the manual thing even if you wouldn't do an initrd in terms
of convenience..

Yes - I run make - make modules_install - make install. It creates the initrd files and it alters grub. The stock kernel works and in the past compiling my own kernel this way worked. I even started with Fedora's .config file. to make sure I'm compiling the same stuff.