Re: Poor NFSv4 first impressions

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Nov 06 2006 - 11:07:59 EST

Daniel J Blueman wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:
Being a big user of NFS at home, and a big fan of NFSv4, it was high
time that I converted my home network from NFSv3 to NFSv4.

Unfortunately applications started breaking left and right. vim
noticeably malfunctioned, trying repeatedly to create a swapfile (sorta
like a lockfile). Mozilla Thunderbird would crash reproducibly whenever
it tried anything remotely major with a mailbox, such as compressing
folders (removing deleted messages).
[snip]

This has all the symptoms to an open EACCES NFSv4 bug in 2.6.18/19.
This is fixed in:

http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/kernel-patches/2.6.19-rc3-2/linux-2.6.19-rc3-CITI_NFS4_ALL-2.diff

(see http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/).

With this patch, I can run just great with NFSv4 home dir (etc)
mounts; without, I get the symptom of many 0-byte temporary/lock files
being created and often the inability to create files (!). Be sure to
allow callback delegation connections in through your firewall for the
extra performance ;-) .

Maybe it's too late for these fixes 2.6.19, but they should certainly
make 2.6.19.1 IMHO.

If NFSv4 really works that poorly without the patches, perhaps they should go in 2.6.19 at the start. I'm surprised others aren't having this problem, I thought there was more test use.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a