Re: could not find filesystem /dev/root

From: Marc Perkel
Date: Mon Nov 06 2006 - 18:53:57 EST

Chris Lalancette wrote:
Marc Perkel wrote:
Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

On Monday, 6 November 2006 22:18, Marc Perkel wrote:

Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

On Monday, 6 November 2006 02:54, Marc Perkel wrote:

Trying to compile a new kernel and getting this on boot

could not find filesystem /dev/root
Which kernel?
2.6.19rc4
What is the last working version?
Last one I tried that worked other than the stock kernel is 2.6.18 but
I've upgraded from FC5 to FC6 since then.

I ran into the same problem when using an FC-6 .config file compiling 2.6.19-rc4. In my case, the problem was that the configuration options for Serial ATA have changed since 2.6.18 (which the FC-6 config is based on). I had to manually go in to the config (with make menuconfig) and turn on the SATA device that I have. What kind of SATA controller do you have, and what does your .config look like?

Chris Lalancette

I'm looking at it now. that is very likely it. I'm using nv_sata