RE: could not find filesystem /dev/root

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Tue Nov 07 2006 - 09:21:22 EST

>> If you don't want udev, make an initramfs, build your disk driver as
>> modules, and load them in the order you want your disks numbered.
>>
>> udev or initramfs, you ought to choose at least one.
>
>Nope, you don't. I'm now using a kernel without modules for what's disk
>related, and unless people (read kernel developpers) change something

Yeah, "unless". But the kernel should be considered fuzzy logic in
this area :) after all, it does not even need a kernel developer -- a
binutils contributor might also change something that results in a
change of link order.

On the other side, you can run udev _once_ to create device nodes like
/dev/disk/by-label/ to allow at least correct booting (possibly using
LABEL=) Once the box is up, one can always figure out which drive is
which by looking at fdisk or other info. (Gets a little hard when
they're all the same manufacturer and type, but then again, LABEL=
will work without udev in the "normal" userspace.)

>in the init order, I'm now with a stable environment, without udev or
>initramfs.
>
>Paul

-`J'