Re: usb device descriptor read/64, error -110 information.

From: John . Jeffers
Date: Tue Nov 07 2006 - 12:04:11 EST

I too have done this with High speed USB devices: SanDisk Micro
Bonzai sold by Simpletech. My dmesg was device descriptor read/64 error
-71

The work around works for me with SuSE 10.1 Kernel build 2.6.16.21-0 25
built Tuesday 19th Sept 2006 6:46:56 AM CDT on eisler.suse.de

What appears to be going on is that after so many entries in a USB table
(which is the SCSI Stub) the High Speed Devices no longer can create an
entry in the appropriate time.

Personally I would vote that this is a module issue. However it did not
appear until unit was updated to above kernel. Google gives many hits on
"descriptor read/64 error -71"

Same SuSE configuration was on P4 2.2G HP xt395 Laptop 1G/60G(12 Mhz USB),
Micron Clientpro PIII 1G 512M/40G (12MHZ USB) and Micron Clientpro PIII 1G
512M/60G on same hour/day so was quite repeatable.

USB drive was placed in W2K and XPro boxes and was recognized immediately

Regards John

>From http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-27416.html

Morgoth
April 16th, 2005, 01:50 AM
HI all.
I am having a little trouble with my USB thumb drive. I have successfully
installed Kubuntu on both my laptop and desktop systems, however I cannot
get my thumb drive to work on my desktop. It works fine in the same
computer on my Windows ( sigh, I know ) XP partition and it works great on
the laptop, so I figure it can't be the usb port or the drive itself. I
think something got broken when I installed but I'm still fairly new when
it comes to ripping around in the guts of Linux and am not sure where to
even start looking.
I have tried to mount the drive manually, but got an error saying no
device ( sda1... or sdb1... ) and in fact there are no entries at all in
/dev for sd"anything".
When I insert the drive and do a dmesg, it shows the following errors:

usb 4-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
usb 4-6: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 4-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
usb 4-6: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 4-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
usb 4-6: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 4-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
usb 4-6: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 4-6: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 4-6: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
usb 4-6: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 4-6: device descriptor read/64, error -71

If anyone out there has seen this or has any insight into my problem I
would greatly appreciate a reply.

robajz
June 3rd, 2005, 01:33 AM
Hi,

I found this
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-March/msg04036.html
... type, as root, modprobe -r ehci-hc ...

it's just workaround but worked for me, don't know why. May be next kernel
release may fix it.

robajz

Morgoth
June 3rd, 2005, 01:58 PM
IT WORKS!! :)
I cannot thank you enough Robajz ( first born ok? )
As you can tell I posted this 2 months ago and nothing. I had just about
given up trying to find a solution. I know it's not a life-threatening
situation, but it was inconvenient.

Once again thank you.
Morgoth

John Jeffers P.Eng. , MS1074