Re: Faustian Pact between Novell and Microsoft

From: Jeff V. Merkey
Date: Tue Nov 07 2006 - 17:24:46 EST

Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 09:54 -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 09:18 +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
[...]

This is a watershed moment for Linux. It fundamentally changes the
rules of the game. We're really excited about this deal, and we hope
you are too.

(from http://www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/openletter.html) only make
it worse, but acquisition? I'd hope not even mickey$oft has enough
cash for _that_.

[...]

And the first point in the list is "patents" ....

[...]

I can see the lights are coming on now for some folks now.

How many patenst does Novell have? Do they play in the "more than 1000
trivial, prior art and software patents" league like M$?
So from Novell's point of view it is probably somewhat a cross-licensing
deal.
"What does M$ really gain from it?" is the interesting question.

Bernd

The Pike patent from the USL acquisition is the one Microsoft most wanted to get their hands on, as well as the SMP
patents. The Pike patent controls overlapping Windows. M$ has wanted to get clear of it for some time. With the
cross license from Novell, they are home free. Novell has a large number of networking and directory patents.

Not quite 1000, but they have some very good ones on SMP, clustering, and form the USL acquisition.

Jeff