Re: New laptop - problems with linux

From: Stephen Clark
Date: Wed Nov 08 2006 - 10:13:09 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 09:41 -0500, Stephen Clark wrote:

Hi list,

I just purchased a VBI-Asus S96F laptop Intel 945GM & ICH7, with a Core 2 Duo T560,0 2gb pc5400 memory.
From checking around it appeared all the
hardware was well supported by linux - but I am having major problems.

1. neither the wireless lan Intel pro 3945ABG or built in ethernet

you can get the driver for this from ipw3945.sf.net

RTL-8169C are detected and configured

Could you propose any reason why it is not be configured? Can I force load a module to
make it work. It is a real pain without a enet conniection, since I have to ferry stuff on thumbdrive

2. the disk which is a 7200rpm Hitachi travelmate transfers data at 1.xx mb/sec
according to hdparm. This same drive in my old laptop an HP n5430 with a
850 duron the rate was 12-14 mb/sec.

it seems you're using your sata disk in legacy IDE compatibility mode,
and not AHCI mode... usually there is a bios setting to switch this
(but be careful, if you switch it without adding the ahci driver to your
initrd your system won't boot)

Actually this is a pata drive. This laptop provides a pata interface even though it has
sata in the ICH7 chipset.

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Ben Franklin)

"The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." (Thomas Jefferson)