Re: 2.6.19-rc5-mm1

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Nov 08 2006 - 15:31:48 EST

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 15:15:39 -0500
Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 12:05:47PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> > The problem is that you have
> >
> > > CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=m
> > > CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=y
> >
> > but acpi-cpufreq needs the stuff in freq_table.c.
> >
> > This happens again and again and again and again. I wish people would just
> > stop using `select'. It. Doesn't. Work.
> >
> > Either we fix select or we stop using the damn thing.
>
> So, why doesn't select set the symbol it's selecting to the
> same value as the symbol being configured ?

It would have to be "same or higher", where y > m

> That would solve the issue no?

It would sort-of-solve this issue. But it wouldn't stop `select' from being a
pita. I spent some time trying to reverse-engineer Reuben's config from
the tiny bit he shared with us and gave up because a twisty maze of selects
kept on insisting that CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y.