Re: Strange write errors on FAT32 partition (maybe an FAT32 bug?!)

From: Christoph Anton Mitterer
Date: Thu Nov 09 2006 - 17:24:43 EST

Roger Heflin wrote:
> Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
>
>> Roger Heflin wrote:
>>
>>> The mc part does pci parity, it is separate from the
>>> chipset driver,
>>>
>> What? I thought the MC part does ECC and the pci part the parity stuff?
>>

> mc does pci parity all by itself, it is also the main module
> holding the ecc stuff together, but you get no ecc without the
> chipset/cpu specific module.
>

>>> I have even used the _mc part on a
>>> Itanium with no chipset driver at all and had it report
>>> parity errors properly, so I expect just the mc driver
>>> to work.
>>>
>>> You would need the k8 module for the cpu, but that is
>>> only if you want ECC checking also.
>>>

>> Where do I get this only when patching from CVS?
>>

> I don't know the status is of the k8 modules, some
> distro kernels include it, I don't know if vanilla has
> it yet.
>
> mcelog should also report ecc errors, but you would need
> to be running the mcelog userspace program every so often
> to realize that errors where happening.
>

>>> If you got the _mc loaded do a "sysctl -a | grep mc" and
>>> see what things are set how, and reset if necessary
>>> check_pci_parity to 1.
>>>
>> Well ok,.. module is loaded now:
>> I've set check_pci_parity to 1 everything else is 0 in sysfs...
>>

>> # sysctl -a | grep mc
>> error: "Operation not permitted" reading key "net.ipv6.route.flush"
>> net.ipv6.neigh.eth1.mcast_solicit = 3
>> net.ipv6.neigh.eth0.mcast_solicit = 3
>> net.ipv6.neigh.lo.mcast_solicit = 3
>> net.ipv6.neigh.default.mcast_solicit = 3
>> net.ipv4.conf.ppp0.mc_forwarding = 0
>> net.ipv4.conf.eth1.mc_forwarding = 0
>> net.ipv4.conf.eth0.mc_forwarding = 0
>> net.ipv4.conf.lo.mc_forwarding = 0
>> net.ipv4.conf.default.mc_forwarding = 0
>> net.ipv4.conf.all.mc_forwarding = 0
>> net.ipv4.neigh.ppp0.mcast_solicit = 3
>> net.ipv4.neigh.eth1.mcast_solicit = 3
>> net.ipv4.neigh.eth0.mcast_solicit = 3
>> net.ipv4.neigh.lo.mcast_solicit = 3
>> net.ipv4.neigh.default.mcast_solicit = 3
>> error: "Operation not permitted" reading key "net.ipv4.route.flush"
>> error: "Invalid argument" reading key "fs.binfmt_misc.register"
>>

>> But this has nothing to do with edac, has it?
>>
>> And I've already had diff errors again,..
>> so if there had been some parity issue it should have been logged, right?
>>

> The names and locations may have change, I am more
> familiar with the older versions that had the sysctl stuff
> in them, the new parts may not have the sysctl stuff,
> but if you make the adjustment with the /sys filesystem,
> that should work just fine.

Ahh now I see:
Parity Count:

'pci_parity_count'

This attribute file will display the number of parity errors that
have been detected.

but this is zero ...
So would that mean that I don't have any parity errors?

btw: I'm still always getting diff errors at different files...

Chris.

begin:vcard
fn:Mitterer, Christoph Anton
n:Mitterer;Christoph Anton