Re: [patch 13/19] GTOD: Mark TSC unusable for highres timers

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Nov 10 2006 - 06:20:34 EST

* Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ar Gwe, 2006-11-10 am 09:57 +0100, ysgrifennodd Ingo Molnar:
> > AFAIK Windows doesnt use it, so it's a continuous minefield for new
> > hardware to break.
>
> Windows uses it extensively especially games. The AMD desync upset a
> lot of Windows gamers.

well, i meant the Windows kernel itself, not applications. (maybe the
Windows kernel uses it on SMP systems where the TSC /used to be/ pretty
stable, i dont know)

> > We should wait until CPU makers get their act together and implement
> > a TSC variant that is /architecturally promised/ to have constant
> > frequency (system bus frequency or whatever) and which never stops.
>
> This will never happen for the really big boxes, light is just too

that's not a problem - time goes as fast as light [by definition] :-)

> If hrtimer needs and requires we stop TSC support [...]

no, it doesnt, so there's no real friction here. We just observed that
in the past 10 years no generally working TSC-based gettimeofday was
written (and i wrote the first version of it for the Pentium, so the
blame is on me too), and that we might be better off without it. If
someone can pull off a working TSC-based gettimeofday() implementation
then there's no objection from us.

Ingo