MIPS atomic operations, "sync"

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Fri Nov 10 2006 - 13:41:25 EST

Hi,

I am currently creating a "LOCK" prefix free and memory barrier free version
of atomic.h to fulfill my tracer (LTTng) needs, which is to atomically update
per-cpu data and have a minimal performance loss.

I just came across the MIPS atomic.h and system.h implementations in 2.6.18
which brings a question :

Why are the primitives in include/asm-mips/atomic.h using the "sync"
instruction even in the UP case ? system.h cmpxchg only uses the sync in the
SMP case.

Mathieu

OpenPGP public key: http://krystal.dyndns.org:8080/key/compudj.gpg
Key fingerprint: 8CD5 52C3 8E3C 4140 715F BA06 3F25 A8FE 3BAE 9A68