Re: + sched-use-tasklet-to-call-balancing.patch added to -mm tree

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Nov 10 2006 - 16:43:00 EST

* Christoph Lameter <clameter@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On a 8p system:
>
> I) Percent of ticks where load balancing was found to be required
>
> II) Percent of ticks where we attempted load balancing
> but we found that we need to try again due to load balancing
> in progress elsewhere (This increases (I) since we found that
> load balancing was required but we decided to defer. Tasklet
> was not invoked).
>
> I) II)
> Boot: 70% ~1%
> AIM7: 30% 2%
> Idle: 50% <0.5%
>
> 256p:
> I) II)
> Boot: 80% 30%
> AIM7: 90% 30%
> Idle: 95% 30%

nice measurements and interesting results.

note that with a tasklet a 'retry' will often be done on the /same/ CPU
that was running the tasklet when we tried to schedule it. I.e. such a
'collision' will result not only in the 'loss' of the local rebalance
event, but also causes /another/ rebalance event on the remote CPU.

so a better model would be the trylock model i suggested in the previous
mail: to just lose the rebalance events upon collision and not cause
extra work on the remote CPU. I'd also suggest to keep the rebalancing
code under the irqs-off section, like it is currently - only do it
conditional on trylock success. Do you think that would work?

Ingo