Re: Problems with mounting filesystems from /dev/hdb (kernel 2.6.18.1)

From: Jody Belka
Date: Fri Nov 10 2006 - 17:21:28 EST

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 12:04:43AM +0100, Oliver Brakmann wrote:
> > +device-mapper: ioctl: 4.7.0-ioctl (2006-06-24) initialised: dm-devel@xxxxxxxxxx
> > +device-mapper: table: 253:0: linear: dm-linear: Device lookup failed
> > +device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to table
>
> At this point, it looks like something already grabbed hold of /dev/hdb.
> Both evms and lvm get started here, right after S25mdadm-raid.
>
> This is just a hunch, but you might try disabling either of the two.
> Also, it might help if you'd post the output of 'fdisk -l /dev/hdb' to
> see what's on it. The output of 'pvs' might help, too.
>
> I have no clue why this error only shows up with the vanilla kernel and
> not with the Ubuntu one, though :-/

That i think i can help out with. The last time i took a look at the patches
ubuntu applies, one of them was the bd-claim patch. This removes the
functionality preventing multiple "owners" of a block device, thereby allowing
the use of both traditional partitions and device-mapper on the same disk,
something specifically not permitted in the vanilla kernel.

Jody Belka
knew (at) pimb (dot) org