Re: A proposal; making 2.6.20 a bugfix only version.

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sat Nov 11 2006 - 02:16:44 EST

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 08:53:11AM -0800, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> Either that or lkml is/remains for bug reporting and we move development
> somewhere else. Or my [repeated] preference:
>
> do development on specific mailing lists (although there would
> likely need to be a fallback list when it's not clear which mailing
> list should be used)

I've been thinking about this too for a while now. There is something
like half of the email volume which are (semi-)automated emails
containing patches moving from a GIT tree to another. I think that
moving this to some linux-dev or something like this would :

1) reduce the noise on LKML so that problem reports are better caught
2) reduce the global email volume because instead of sending all these
emails to 10-20000 persons(?), only maybe a thousand will be subscribed.
3) reduce even more the latency between post and publication due to 2.

I don't know if others would be interested, in which case it would be wise
to poll on the subject and include Matti and Davem to the discussion.

Regards,
Willy