Re: [RFC] Pushing device/driver binding decisions to userspace

From: Martin Mares
Date: Mon Nov 13 2006 - 04:45:49 EST

Hello!

> No, in a lot of cases, it's not a deficiency. Take the entire
> drivers/ata/pata_*.ko list. All of them match an IDE driver, however the
> pata driver most times does not support all the same PCI id's for the
> matching ide driver.
>
> Also the other case I gave where there is an alsa driver and a media
> driver for the same chipset, is by design. It can't be helped. There
> actually is a case for wanting one driver or the other in the case of
> the exact same hardware, depending on the users desire.

If you have two drivers for the same device, there is no problem --
just insmod one of the drivers. The ugly cases are the "a b / b c"
described in the first mail of this thread -- however, are these really
sane? Shouldn't they be split to multiple drivers?

Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@xxxxxx> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
A bug in the code is worth two in the documentation.