Re: Dual cores on Core2Duo not detected?

From: Shaun Q
Date: Mon Nov 13 2006 - 10:54:48 EST

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, Jesper Juhl wrote:

On 13/11/06, Shaun Q <shaun@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi there everyone --

I'm trying to build a custom kernel for using both cores of my new
Core2Duo E6600 processor...

I thought this was simply a matter of enabling the SMP support in the
kernel .config and recompiling, but when the kernel comes back up, still
only one core is detected.

With the default vanilla text-based SuSE 10.1 install, it does find both
cores...

Anyone have any pointers for me on what I might be missing?

This is probably not your problem, but it could be, so worth checking.
Are you booting with maxcpus=1 on your kernel commandline?

If only that were it :) Unfortunately, no...

Another thing could be that you need to set CONFIG_NR_CPUS to
something more than 2. at least in the past some people observed that
depending on hov CPUs/cores got numbered CONFIG_NR_CPUS needed to be
set at least as high as the highest numbered core. Try setting it to 8
and see if that makes a difference.
Yup, mine is set to 8 right now.>
On a related note; you probably also want to enable CONFIG_SCHED_MC in
addition to just SMP support.

Already set.
--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>