Re: Patch to fixe Data Acess error in dup_fd

From: Vadim Lobanov
Date: Wed Nov 15 2006 - 03:18:18 EST

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 13:08 +0530, Sharyathi Nagesh wrote:
> This is very interesting: after reading through I am feeling there is high chance this
> could as well be a memory corruption issue. But if the issue is memory getting corrupted
> what could be the possible reasons.
> I had observed random slab corruption issues in the machine, could
> that may have resulted in corruption, we may be opening up larger issues
> here about which I am not much aware of,

I'm guessing that you've already tried this, but it never hurts to be
sure: does this machine pass memtest? :)

> The kernel version on which it is tested is: 2.6.18-1 (Distro
> variant)

Unless someone recognizes special magic values from the register dumps
to point at any particular part of the kernel, the corruption could be
coming from almost anywhere. If noone has any better guesses, then
narrowing down the problem might be worthwhile: grab a vanilla
non-distro 2.6.18-1 kernel (from kernel.org) and see if you can
reproduce the problem with that, and then try to find the previous
release where the problem disappears. Or use git instead, which folks
say can do this bisection process rather well. :)

Thanks,
-- Vadim Lobanov