Re: [patch 2/2] enables booting a NUMA system where some nodes haveno memory

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Wed Nov 15 2006 - 21:35:51 EST

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Martin Bligh wrote:

> A node without memory is a node without memory. Simply remapping the
> cpus to another node and pretending the world is different does not
> make much sense.

It avoids overhead both in terms of memory and processing in the kernel
and it seems that is the way we have traditionally dealt with the issue?

Nodes without memory require the VM to allocate memory from different
nodes in order to build up management structures for the node (these
are useless since the node has no memory, caches will be split etc etc).

The cpus will allways fallback to the next node anyways since
their zonelist begins with a zone in a node that has memory.

> Is there some fundamental problem you see with dealing with the nodes
> as is? Doesn't seem that hard to me. I'm not asking you to put the
> effort in to fixing it, just if you see some fundamental reason why
> it can't be fixed?

I am not sure how memoryless nodes would affect various subsystems. And it
seems that this patch only fixes the first issue that they found (?). If
we go down this route then we may have to add more special casing to the
VM in order to cleanly handle memoryless nodes.

But maybe someone else has already experience with memoryless nodes?