Re: How to go about debuging a system lockup?

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Thu Nov 16 2006 - 16:30:32 EST

On 16/11/06, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 09:49:06PM +0100, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> - You could also try kdb (http://oss.sgi.com/projects/kdb/) or kgdb
> (http://kgdb.linsyssoft.com/). That might help you pinpoint the
> failure.

Can I run that remotely somehow? I never really looked at kdb or kgdb
before.

Yes you can. kgdb is run on a separate machine from the one you are debugging.

> - If you have (or can identify) an older, working, kernel version and
> you are confident that you can reproduce the problem reliably, then
> doing a git bisection search starting with your newest "known good"
> and oldest "known bad" kernel versions, should help you pinpoint the
> commit causing the breakage.

I don't know of a good version yet. I so far don't know if there ever
was one. This could even be a bug in the PCI hardware, or the way the
BIOS on this system on a board configured the PCI controller. Maybe I
should go back and try a 2.4 kernel.

Or just try a few random older 2.6 kernels like 2.6.14, 2.6.9,
2.6.whatever (of course it needs to be a version that git knows
about).

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>