Re: Sysctl syscall

From: Hasso Tepper
Date: Fri Nov 17 2006 - 03:08:25 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
> Hasso Tepper <hasso@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > 2.4 and 2.6 kernels and would work with capabilities
> > (sys/capability.h)? Accessing `/proc/sys' directly isn't such
> > alternative as it doesn't work with capabilities.
>
> What do you mean with "/proc/sys doesn't work with capabilities"?

I have process which drops root privileges after startup and retains only
some privileges using CAP_NET_ADMIN and CAP_SYS_ADMIN capabilities.
I can change values in /proc/sys/net/ipv[46]/* (like turning forwarding
on/off) from this process using sysctl syscall, but I can't write
directly into /proc/sys/net/ipv[46]/* from it.

regards,

--
Hasso Tepper
Elion Enterprises Ltd. [AS3249]