Re: Sysctl syscall

From: Hasso Tepper
Date: Fri Nov 17 2006 - 04:38:52 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Friday 17 November 2006 09:07, Hasso Tepper wrote:
> > I have process which drops root privileges after startup and retains
> > only some privileges using CAP_NET_ADMIN and CAP_SYS_ADMIN
> > capabilities. I can change values in /proc/sys/net/ipv[46]/* (like
> > turning forwarding on/off) from this process using sysctl syscall,
> > but I can't write directly into /proc/sys/net/ipv[46]/* from it.
>
> That sounds more like a security bug than a feature to be preserved.

Why? IMHO it's normal that process with CAP_NET_ADMIN capabilities can
modify settings in /proc/sys/net/. From /usr/include/sys/capability.h:

/* Allow interface configuration */
/* Allow administration of IP firewall, masquerading and accounting */
/* Allow setting debug option on sockets */
/* Allow modification of routing tables */
/* Allow setting arbitrary process / process group ownership on
sockets */
/* Allow binding to any address for transparent proxying */
/* Allow setting TOS (type of service) */
/* Allow setting promiscuous mode */
/* Allow clearing driver statistics */
/* Allow multicasting */
/* Allow read/write of device-specific registers */
/* Allow activation of ATM control sockets */

#define CAP_NET_ADMIN 12

regards,

--
Hasso Tepper