Re: acpiphp makes noise on every lid close/open

From: David Weinehall
Date: Fri Nov 17 2006 - 11:08:37 EST

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 03:46:27PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 04:37:17PM +0100, David Weinehall wrote:
>
> > The fact that the dock starts to beep annoyingly. It has a button that
> > you should press before undocking, and wait for a green light to light
> > up before removing the laptop. If you remove the computer without
> > doing so, the dock starts beeping, and it doesn't stop (AFAIK, haven't
> > managed to stand the beeping for more than 30 seconds or so) until you
> > replug the laptop.
>
> Ah, hm. Interesting. Maybe it does want OS support, then. Have you tried
> it in the Leading Brand OS?

Nope.

> > My guess is that there is some wait to trigger an undock event from
> > software as well, and that it would be nice to send that signal to the
> > dock before suspending...
>
> You possibly don't want to do that if there's a mounted bay device in
> the dock.

Well, right now I don't have a bay device in the dock, but refusing to
suspend in that case would be reasonable. I need to add some hotplug
script for the bay device anyway if I add one.

> We really need to determine some sort of policy when it comes to mounted
> devices that will potentially be removed by the user over
> suspend/resume. Do we support this configuration (by not killing the
> mount point), or do we prevent users from shooting themselves in the
> foot?

Good question. Personally I'd say we refuse to suspend when we have
devices we *know* to be dock-devices etc mounted.

Regards: David
--
/) David Weinehall <tao@xxxxxxxxxx> /) Northern lights wander (\
// Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel // Dance across the winter sky //