Re: [discuss] Re: 2.6.19-rc5: known regressions (v3)

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Fri Nov 17 2006 - 13:22:50 EST

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 11:29:25 +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
>On Friday 17 November 2006 10:59, Mikael Pettersson wrote:
>
>> It certainly worked when I originally implemented it.
>
>I don't think so. NMI watchdog never recovered no matter if oprofile
>used the counter or not.

If so then that's a bug in oprofile or the x86-64 kernel.
I just checked the 2.6.18 i386 kernel + the perfctr kernel
extension, and the NMI watchdog did start ticking again when
perfctr called release_lapic_nmi().

Before the {reserve,release}_lapic_nmi() API went into the
kernel the NMI watchdog might not have resumed, but that was
ages ago (the 2.6.6 kernel).

/Mikael