Re: Boot failure with ext2 and initrds

From: Hugh Dickins
Date: Mon Nov 20 2006 - 15:54:31 EST

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, Hugh Dickins wrote:

> I'll do a little staring at the code myself: I'm unlikely to notice
> anything you've missed, but there's just a chance staring at it will
> direct me to some detail I've jotted down from before.

Not found anything relevant, but I keep noticing these lines
in ext2_try_to_allocate_with_rsv(), ext3 and ext4 similar:

} else if (grp_goal > 0 &&
(my_rsv->rsv_end - grp_goal + 1) < *count)
try_to_extend_reservation(my_rsv, sb,
*count-my_rsv->rsv_end + grp_goal - 1);

They're wrong, a no-op in most groups, aren't they? rsv_end is an
absolute block number, whereas grp_goal is group-relative, so the
calculation ought to bring in group_first_block? Or I'm confused.

(Whereas in my hang the grp_goal to ext2_try_to_allocate was -1
when I looked, with group 0 and num 1.)

Hugh