Re: [take24 0/6] kevent: Generic event handling mechanism.

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Nov 20 2006 - 16:46:47 EST

Ulrich Drepper wrote:
Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
It is exactly how previous ring buffer (in mapped area though) was
implemented.

Not any of those I saw. The one I looked at always started again at index 0 to fill the ring buffer. I'll wait for the next implementation.

I like the two-pointer ring buffer approach, one pointer for the consumer and one for the producer.

You don't want to have a channel like this. The userlevel code doesn't know which threads are waiting in the kernel on the event queue. And it

Agreed.

You are still completely focused on AIO. We are talking here about a new generic event handling. It is not tied to AIO. We will add all

Agreed.

As I said, relative timeouts are unable to cope with settimeofday calls or ntp adjustments. AIO is certainly usable in situations where timeouts are related to wall clock time.

I think we have lived with relative timeouts for so long, it would be unusual to change now. select(2), poll(2), epoll_wait(2) all take relative timeouts.

Jeff