Re: LTTng do_page_fault vs handle_mm_fault instrumentation

From: Sergei Shtylyov
Date: Tue Nov 21 2006 - 12:10:46 EST

Hello.

Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:

Instrumentation around the handle_mm_fault handler call, inside do_page_fault,
looked to me as a good compromise : it can access the struct pt_regs, it will
never be called from either a vmalloc fault or an erroneous page fault caused by
the tracer itself (which of course, never happens, but who knows...). It won't,
however, give information about some error paths in the page fault handler,
mainly related to kernel faults. It is also a little farther from the page
fault handler "real" entry and exit points, but I consider it a minor impact
compared to the cost of entering the trap on currently existing architectures.

I kept this approach mostly (note it would have been hard to change it due to this particular handler's structure itself) but just cleaned it up. If you consider that adding more markers was a bit too much, I can remove them. :-)

WBR, Sergei