Re: arch/x86_64/mm/numa.c(124): remark #593: variable "bootmap_size"was set but nev

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Wed Nov 22 2006 - 08:30:07 EST

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Andi Kleen wrote:

"d binderman" <dcb314@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hello there,

I just tried to compile Linux kernel 2.6.18.3 with the Intel C
C compiler.

The compiler said

arch/x86_64/mm/numa.c(124): remark #593: variable "bootmap_size" was
set but never used

Actually it looks like a real bug -- probably added recently with the
new bootmap code.

The bootmap should be reserved based on that size.

I checked the arch-independent sizing patches submitted related to x86_64 and no line is changed that does anything with bootmap_size so that ruled out an obvious candidate. I did a diff on a grep for bootmap_size in arch/x86_64 and found that there is no difference in usage between 2.6.18 and 2.6.19-rc6. Both call reserve_bootmem(bootmap, bootmap_size) which has changed. However, the changes seem to be more cosmetic than anything else using PFN_DOWN and PFN_UP instead of some_value/PAGE_SIZE so it's not super-clear where the warning is coming from.

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student Linux Technology Center