Re: [patch -mm] net namespace: empty framework

From: Dmitry Mishin
Date: Thu Nov 23 2006 - 04:06:15 EST

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 20:53, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Cedric Le Goater <clg@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >> no problem here, but I think we will need another one,
> >> or some smart way to do the network isolation (layer 3)
> >> for the network namespace (as alternative to the layer 2
> >> approach) ...
> >
> > My feeling (Dmitry and Daniel can correct me) is that it will be
> > addressed with an unshare-like flag : NETNS2 and NETNS3.
> >
> >> as they are both complementary in some way, I'm not sure
> >> a single space will suffice ...
> >
> > hmm, so you think there could be a 2 differents namespaces
> > for network to handle layer 2 or 3. Couldn't that be just a sub part
> > of net_namespace.
>
> The justification is performance and a little on the simplicity side.
>
> My personal feel is still that layer 3 is something easier done
> as a new kind of table in an iptables type infrastructure. And in
> fact I believe if done that way would capture do what 90%+ of what
> all of the iptables rules do. So it might be a nice firewalling speed up.
Two points about solution using netfilter infrastructure:
1) Conntracks and dependant modules are called with the highest priority and
will require, that skb context will be the same in input and output chains,
else it will be a good place for bugs. So, we should change context before it
will be marked by conntracks;
2) This solution has worse performance in comparison with Daniel's solution
due to additional lookup of context by ip addr.

--
Thanks,
Dmitry.