Re: OOM killer firing on 2.6.18 and later during LTP runs

From: Martin J. Bligh
Date: Sat Nov 25 2006 - 16:40:07 EST

The traces are a bit confusing, but I don't actually see anything wrong
there. The machine has used up all swap, has used up all memory and has
correctly gone and killed things. After that, there's free memory again.

Yeah, it's just a bit odd that it's always in the IO path. Makes me
suspect there's actually a bunch of pagecache in the box as well, but
maybe it's just coincidence, and the rest of the box really is full
of anon mem. I thought we dumped the alt-sysrq-m type stuff on an OOM
kill, but it seems not. maybe that's just not in mainline.

This doesn't seem to happen every run, unfortnately, only
intermittently, and we don't have much data before that, so
hard to tell how long it's been going on.

Still happening on latest kernels.
http://test.kernel.org/abat/62445/debug/console.log

The same appears to have happened there too. Although it does seem to have
killed a lot more than it should have.

Has something changed in the configuration of that machine? New LTP
version? Less swapsapce?

Difficult to tell, it's a fairly new box to the grid, so it seems to
have been doing that intermittently forever.