Re: Entropy Pool Contents

From: Eran Tromer
Date: Tue Nov 28 2006 - 08:35:40 EST

On 2006-11-27 23:52, Kyle Moffett wrote:
> Actually, our current /dev/random implementation is secure even if the
> cryptographic algorithms can be broken under traditional circumstances.

This is far from obvious, and in my opinion incorrect. David explained
this very well in his follow-up. Other pertinent references are
Gutterman Pinkas Reinman '06 [1], Barak and Halevi '05 [2, Section 5.1],
and the "/dev/random is probably not" thread [3].

The current algorithm is probably OK for casual users in normal
circumstances, but advertising it as absolutely secure is dangerously

More majordomo info at
Please read the FAQ at