[SOLVED] Re: [discuss] 2.6.19-rc5: known regressions (v2)

From: Paolo Ornati
Date: Wed Nov 29 2006 - 05:14:53 EST

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 17:44:51 +0100
Paolo Ornati <ornati@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Okay, please let us know if it survives the next several cycles.
> > >
> > > OTOH, the problem may be hiding.
> >
> > Ok, and if it survives againg and again I can do a partial bisection...
>
> "-rc5" is still alive: 6 days of uptime using suspend/resume many times
> every day...
>
> so if the problem is there it's hiding very well.
>

> Now I'll slowly go back with older kernels and see what happens...

SHORT CONCLUSION: it was just a kernel miscompilation (I usually do
"make oldconfig; make clean; make" so I don't know if I missed "make
clean" or if it was caused by ccache...).

The fact that it's a miscompilation is "proved" by 3 simple things:

1) I've only seen the problem with that particular version

2) slow bisection pointed that the ipotetic bug was fixed between
4b1c46a3..d1ed6a3e, but I don't see any change that matters (on x86_64).

3) I'm running a clean recompiled 2.6.19-rc4-g4b1c46a3, that doesn't
have any problem.

:D

--
Paolo Ornati