Re: [2.6 patch] parisc: "extern inline" -> "static inline" (fwd)

From: Grant Grundler
Date: Fri Dec 01 2006 - 11:44:36 EST

On Fri, Dec 01, 2006 at 12:48:11PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> "extern inline" generates a warning with -Wmissing-prototypes and I'm
> currently working on getting the kernel cleaned up for adding this to
> the CFLAGS since it will help us to avoid a nasty class of runtime
> errors.

John David Anglin is the hppa/parisc gcc maintainer and has
commented on inline variants last year:
http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux/2005-October/027587.html

This makes me think -Wmissing-prototypes is reporting the wrong warning.
ie there is a prototype but no function and no label.
Can you check with gcc folks to see if this is a gcc bug?

The parisc point intentionally switched to "extern inline" at one
point and unless what jda wrote is now incorrect, I'm not inclined
to change it.

> If there are places that really need a forced inline, __always_inline
> would be the correct solution.

Yes, all the functions marked "extern inline" are expected to get
essentially the same treatment as "always_inline".

thanks,
grant