Re: [RFC] Include ACPI DSDT from INITRD patch into mainline

From: Ben Collins
Date: Fri Dec 01 2006 - 16:01:44 EST

On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 20:45 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 14:35 -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> > What about the point that userspace (udev, and such) is not available
> > when DSDT loading needs to occur? Init hasn't even started at that
> > point.
>
> that's a moot point; you need to load firmware from the initramfs ANYWAY
> for things like qlogic and others...

I don't see how that relates. The DSDT needs to be loaded even before
driver initialization begins. Things like qlogic can over come this by
being compiled as modules, and letting initramfs-tools take care of
things.

That's not the case for DSDT loading. I'm not saying this patch is the
epitome of good coding, just that it's a needed feature.

If there's a better way to do it, I'm volunteering to do the grunt work,
but I haven't heard of any alternatives to this solution.