Re: [RFC/PATCH] - revert generic_fillattr stat->blksize to PAGE_CACHE_SIZE

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sun Dec 03 2006 - 08:53:42 EST

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 02:21:09PM +0100, col-pepper@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I am using a 2.6.18.2 based kernel and see lots of broken fs due to this
> "diet". eg cloop
>
> I hope some general lessons can be drawn about the necessity and
> desirablility of such changes that (predictably) invoke broadband breakage.

Lessons 1-99:
Get your modules included in the kernel.

> This kind of change and the breakage and dependancy issues they create are
> what makes linux a nightmare to maintain.

s/linux/external modules not submitted for inclusion in the kernel/

> What kernel release contains code where all this calms down and I dont
> need to search patches and updates for modules in order to get basics to
> work again?

None, the Linux development model is based on the fact that such changes
are considered perfectly OK as long as all in-kernel users are being
fixed.

The solution for your problem is that the authors of the modules you
are using should get their modules included in the Linux kernel - and
they'll be automatically fixed when someone changes an in-kernel API.

> Thanks for your replys.

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.