Re: Mounting NFS root FS

From: Hans-Peter Jansen
Date: Thu Dec 07 2006 - 17:28:06 EST

Am Montag, 4. Dezember 2006 12:51 schrieb Janne Karhunen:
> On 12/2/06, William Estrada <MrUmunhum@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I have been trying to make FC5's kernel do a boot
> > with an NFS root file system. I see the support is in the
> > kernel(?).
>
> Is this really properly possible (with read/write access and
> locking in place)? AFAIK NFS client lock state data seems
> to require persistent storage .. ?

Out of curiosity: what's the rational of mounting multiple diskless nodes on
one rw nfs root filesystem [with locking in place]?

In my experience, this results in a big mess. I depend heavily on diskless
setups, where I spent significant time to provide sharing as much data as
possible between the clients _without_ further interference. The best setup
I found to get there is using unionfs (which still has issues, mostly due
to missing/broken mmap support).

Pete