Re: I/O statistics per process

From: roland
Date: Thu Dec 07 2006 - 19:10:20 EST

hi!

didn`t discover that there is anything new about this (andrew? jay?) or if some other person sent a patch , but i`d like to report that i came across a really nice tool which would immediately benefit from per-process i/o statistics feature.

please - this mail is not meant to clamor for such feature - it`s just to show up some more benefits if this feature would exist.

vmktree at http://vmktree.org/ is some really nice monitoring tool being able to graph performance statistics for a host running vmware virtual machines (closed source - evil - i know ;) - and it can break that statistics down to each virtual machine.

what`s hurting mostly here is that you have no clue how much I/O each of those virtual machine is generating - you may give sort of a "guess" that a machine with 100% idle cpu will not generate any significant amount of I/O, but vmktree would be so much more powerful with a per-process I/O statistic, since you can use your systems more efficient, because you would know about you I/O hogs, too.

having the ability to take such information from /proc would be a real killer feature - good for troubleshooting and also good for getting important statistics!

roland

ps:
this is another person, desperately seeking for a tool providing that information: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1284288&page=4

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Morton" <akpm@xxxxxxxx>