Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.20

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri Dec 08 2006 - 16:39:58 EST

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 12:32:05 -0600
Steve French <smfltc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> akpm wrote:
> >deprecate-smbfs-in-favour-of-cifs.patch
> >deprecate-smbfs-in-favour-of-cifs-docs.patch
> >
> > Am still waiting to hear from sfrench on the appropriateness of this.
>

> smbfs deprecation is ok but there are a few things to consider:

OK, thanks for the update. We would like to make smbfs go away asap, but
from my POV it's up to you to say when we should do that.

otoh, it might be a good idea to merge a variant of that patch which
doesn't mention a specific data. Say,

if (warn_count < 5) {
warn_count++;
printk(KERN_EMERG "smbfs is not being maintained."
" Please migrate to cifs\n");
}

?

> Running simple tests on smbfs, I run into so many problems now though, it
> is probably time to mark it as deprecated as Fedora etc. apparently
> already have.

No, smbfs is not in very good shape.