Re: VCD not readable under 2.6.18

From: S.Çağlar Onur
Date: Sat Dec 09 2006 - 18:19:49 EST

09 Ara 2006 Cts 19:23 tarihinde, Rakhesh Sasidharan şunları yazmıştı:
> Infact, just inserting a CD is enough. No need for a media player to try
> and access the files. :)
>
> The backend must be polling and trying to mount the disc upon insertion.
> Kernel 2.6.16 and before did that fine, but kernel 2.6.17 and above don't
> and give error messages. Which explains why downgrading the kernel solves
> the problem. (If it were a HAL or KDE/ GNOME problem then shouldn't
> downgrading the kernel *not* help?) Just thinking aloud ...

But i cannot reproduce the problem that way, in my case dmesg flooded as soon
as somebody trying to _access_ to VCD. I disabled hal and closed KDE to test
and that problem no longer reproducible for me. So its really seems a
userspace problem and i think all of them (KDE's cdpolling backend, hal,
mplayer and xine-lib) has problems with kernels >= 2.6.17

--
S.Çağlar Onur <caglar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://cekirdek.pardus.org.tr/~caglar/

Linux is like living in a teepee. No Windows, no Gates and an Apache in house!