Re: DTR/DSR handshake in kernelspace third traying

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Sun Dec 10 2006 - 01:53:47 EST

> On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 21:16:27 +0100 Michael Westermann <michael@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've send 2 patches for a DTS/DSR handshaking to the list
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/5/7/76 and long long time ago 1998
>
> My problem are manufacturers the make printers with
> DTR/DSR Handschaking. POS Printers are very sensible for
> a buffer overrun!
>
> For on or two printers, we can wire a adapter, for 10000...30000
> printers is a software option the better way.
>
> I've write a patch for 2.2 and published it,
> I've write a patch for 2.4 and published it, but i've see there is no
>
> DTR/DSR Handshaking in the kernel 2.6.
>
> I'm a litte bit frusted. Are a few thousands pos-systems not
> enough for upgrading the standard kernel sources?
>
> Have I a really chance to commit a patch for kernel 2.6.

I'd say so. Please make sure that such a patch is against the very latest
Linus kernel from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/snapshots.
Also, the more comprehensive the patch's description the better - why it is
needed, what it does, how it works, etc. Your 2004 description was rather
terse.

I seem to recall that the people who understand and work on this code
discussed this issue earlier this year, but I forget the conclusion. Some
archive searching might be useful.