Re: IDE support on Intel DG965SS

From: Shaun Q
Date: Sun Dec 10 2006 - 15:42:59 EST

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006, Alan Chandler wrote:

I have been trying to find out if the kernel supports the IDE channel
(with a DVD/CD-R unit attached) on my Intel DG965SS motherboard.

Searching the web indicates that for some motherboards based in the
Intel 965 chipset success has been had for 2.6.18 onward by using the
kernel boot parameters

all-generic-ide pci=nommconf

Although these were Fedora Core 6.

I normally run Debian Unstable - but I have built 2.6.19 and installed
that (using the Debian .config as the base config) - mainly because to
get graphics to work it needs 2.6.19 to recognise the ids for the
agpgart module.

However, despite every thing else working - I can't get the IDE
controller to be recognised - whether or not I use the above kernel
boot parameters. I have been UNABLE to find what all-generic-ide does -
it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, so I was just blindly
following someones instructions..

lspci -v shows the following

02:00.0 IDE interface: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Unknown device 6101
(rev b1) (prog-if 8f [Master SecP SecO PriP PriO])
Subsystem: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Unknown device 6101
I/O ports at 1018 [size=8]
I/O ports at 1024 [size=4]
I/O ports at 1010 [size=8]
I/O ports at 1020 [size=4]
I/O ports at 1000 [size=16]
Memory at 50100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit-
Queue=0/0 Enable-
Capabilities: [e0] Express Legacy Endpoint IRQ 0

Poking about in

/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0

Reveals a vendor and subsystem vendor ID of 0x8086 - which is Intel, and
a subsystem_device of 0x514d.

I had a look in include/linux/pci_ids.h but all I could find there was

#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_ATI_RADEON_QM 0x514d

which doesn't appear related.

Can anyone help me, as to where I can go from here?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk