Re: [patch 2/3] acpi: Add a docked sysfs file to the dock driver.

From: Jesse Barnes
Date: Tue Dec 12 2006 - 17:32:05 EST

On Tuesday, December 12, 2006 2:15 pm, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 12:05, Kristen Carlson Accardi wrote:
> > On Sat, 9 Dec 2006 12:59:58 +0100
> >
> > Holger Macht <hmacht@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Well, I like to have them ;-)
> >
> > Ok - how is this?
> >
> > Send a uevent to indicate a device change whenever we dock or
> > undock, so that userspace may now check the dock status via
> > sysfs.
>
> I would like to have two different events for dock and undock.
>
> This way the userspace listener don't need to check the status file
> in sysfs to know if there was a dock or undock after getting the
> event.
>
> Anyway the status file is still usefull for programs don't react on
> the events, but like to know if the laptop is docked before starting
> for example.

FWIW, Kay and Neil recently went back and forth regarding what sorts of
events to generate for MD online/offline events. In concept md
online/offline and dock/undock seem similar enough that the 'change'
events Kay requested for md probably make sense in the dock/undock
context as well, but I've Cc'd him just in case.

Jesse