Re: Support 2.4 modules features in 2.6

From: Matthias Schniedermeyer
Date: Tue Dec 12 2006 - 19:23:58 EST

Jaswinder Singh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to support old 2.4 modules features in 2.6 kernel modules:-
> 1. no kernel source tree is required to build modules.

I don't think that is possible.

There are a few "questions" that are quite fundamental when you want to
build a module that can be loaded by a given kernel.

About the most important fundamental "questions" i can think of ATM:
- UP/SMP
- Preempt yes/no
- RegParm yes/no
(x86)- High Memory off/4g/64G(IOW PAE yes/no)
And maybe a few more "not so fundamental" points.

AFAIK there is no way to build a module that would work in all of the
8/16 possible "kernel-types" you get with these 3/4 fundamental options
alone.

Bis denn