Re: [patch 03/13] io-accounting: write accounting

From: Suleiman Souhlal
Date: Wed Dec 13 2006 - 04:18:04 EST

akpm@xxxxxxxx wrote:
From: Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx>

Accounting writes is fairly simple: whenever a process flips a page from clean
to dirty, we accuse it of having caused a write to underlying storage of
PAGE_CACHE_SIZE bytes.

On architectures where dirtying a page doesn't cause a page fault (like i386), couldn't you end up billing the wrong process (in fact, I think that even on other archituctures set_page_dirty() doesn't get called immediately in the page fault handler)?

AFAICS, set_page_dirty() is mostly called when trying to unmap a page when trying to shrink LRU lists, and there is no guarantee that this happens under the process that dirtied it (in fact, the set_page_dirty() is often done by kswapd).

-- Suleiman