Re: Interphase Tachyon drivers missing.

From: Rolf Eike Beer
Date: Wed Dec 13 2006 - 04:21:18 EST

Greg.Chandler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I went to upgrade my kernel on a couple of boxes yesterday and noticed
> that the Interphase Tachyon chipset Fibre Channel driver was removed
> from the kernel. I think 2.6.1 was the last one it was still in. Was
> there a reason it was pulled?
> If not, do I have to volunteer to put it back in or can someone with
> more skill re-add it?

I suppose you're talking about the cpqfc driver? I have tried to clean it up
but gave up. Next try was to rewrite, but due to lack of time there is no
progress in the last month. The old driver was that horrible coded that noone
can maintain it. It was originally written for something like Linux 2.2 and
was never even forward ported completely to 2.4. With the major changes in
Linux' driver model that went into 2.6 it was nearly unusable anyway. Not
that the use of it in 2.4 can be encouraged. One of the main problems is the
severe lack of error handling which you can see alone from the fact that
there are tons of function returning void even in the critical I/O-path's.

I have heard of at least 3 different people before you (not counting me) that
would like to have a driver for this one. One even donated some hardware to
me around last christmas. But nevertheless my lack of time stopped my work on
this.

Martin, you were hacking on something there too but never showed up some code.
Is there anything new?

Eike