Re: Postgrey experiment at VGER

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Wed Dec 13 2006 - 11:47:46 EST

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 09:11, Al Boldi wrote:
>Trond Myklebust wrote:
>
>Great!
>
>> > IMHO this is only an step in an "arms race".
>> > What you will do in three months, remove this check because it will
>> > prove useless since the spammers will also retry ? If yes, why
>> > install it in the first place ?
>>
>> Why ever do anything? You're going to die eventually anyway...

Some of sooner than others, since we're well on the way anyway. :)

>Right! The problem here is that it may do more harm than good.
>
>May I suggest a smarter way to filter these spammers, by just
> whitelisting email addresses of valid posters, after sending a
> confirmation for the first post. Now if these spammers get smart, and
> start using personal email addresses, I would certainly expect some
> real action by abused email address owners.

This one I second wholeheartedly. Because its entirely possible that my
isp's server will not retry, but will probably spend the next 3 days
emailing me failure notices every 3 hours or so. They also have their
own blacklist for incoming that I've had to bitch about, at length
because the only way to get around it is to change my email address to a
special one they maintain. Theres only one fly in that solution that
makes the soup unpalatable, I can't send using that address in my headers
as its an unknown user error to their outgoing.verizon.net servers . I'm
on vz, go figure.

My first reply since, so this is a test of sorts.