Re: 2.6.20-rc1-mm1

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri Dec 15 2006 - 16:02:41 EST

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 21:39:36 +0100
Damien Wyart <damien.wyart@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> With this new kernel, I notice two messages I do not have with
> 2.6.19-rc6-mm2 :
>
> Dec 15 20:00:47 brouette kernel: Filesystem "sdb9": Disabling barriers,trial barrier write failed
> Dec 15 20:00:47 brouette kernel: Filesystem "sda5": Disabling barriers,trial barrier write failed
>
> Nothing changed in the config between the two, and going back to
> 2.6.19-rc6-mm2 do not give the messages.

I don't think anything has changed in this area in XFS. I'd expect that
something got broken in sata, ata_piix or the block core which caused the
"trial barrier write" to start failing. Various cc's hopefully added.

> Also, I got panics when unmounting reiser4 filesystems with
> 2.6.20-rc1-mm1 but I guess this is related to your waring about reiser4
> being broken in 2.6.19-mm1 (even if it is not listed in notes for
> 2.6.20-rc1-mm1)... I attach dmesg and config, but the reiser4 panics did
> not get logged and I am not able to reboot on 2.6.20-rc1-mm1 right now.
> For the moment, I mainly wanted to report the xfs messages which seems
> a bit suspect.

The reiser4 failure is unexpected. Could you please see if you can capture
a trae, let the people at reiserfs-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx know?

Thanks.