Re: [Fwd: escape key]

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Sun Dec 17 2006 - 04:44:21 EST

On Dec 16 2006 19:51, Stephen Clark wrote:
> Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>>
>> It's something between a misdesign and a misconfiguration of the ESC key.
>>
>> In other words, many unices make ESC generate ^[, the general
>> terminal escape character that is _also_ generated by keys like "up",
>> ^[[A.
>>

> do man ascii - ESC is 0x1b.
> Thats what the esc key should generate - it sometimes echoed as ^[ because the
> [ = 0x5b

Ok I hoped people would be smart enough to figure, but let me rephrase in two
ways:

Many unices generate "\x1b" (^[) for ESC, which is also generated by
keys like "up", which generates "\x1b[A" (^[[A)

>> MS-DOS, or rather QBASIC's, Turbo BASIC's and other implementation of
>> keys, does not have this "bug": here ESC generates "\x1B" and "up"
>> generates "\x00H" IIRC. There is no key defined to generate "\x00".
>> => All fits nicely.

And QB generates "\x1b" (^[) while "up" generates "\x00H" (^@H).

Hope this makes things more clear - I interchangably used the ^ and the \
notation. Sorry if that confused anyone.

-`J'