Re: Linux 2.6.20-rc1

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 16:51:59 EST

Alan wrote:
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:50:14 -0500
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Did I miss an alternate method of handling ftape devices, or are these old beasts now unsupported? I occasionally have to be able to handle that media, since the industrial device using ftape for control updates cost more than a small house.

Do you have hardware and the time to at least test cleanups ?

I can obviously keep an old slow machine to do the job, but I'd like to know if I need to.

The assumption was that since in 2.6 it was so ancient and unloved that
nobody had even seen an ftape device this century. If it is still being
used and you can test cleanups then the removal should be reverted

As much as I have in the past supported keeping useful features in the kernel, this one can go from 2.6 as far as I'm concerned. I would hate to see anyone spend any time maintaining something which is so little used. I can easily move the hardware to a 2.4 machine, or something running an early 2.6.

I think "ancient and unloved" is an apt description.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc